Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Today I will make a difference. . .

I was digging through a folder and found a print out sheet of part of a chapter from an author I'm quite familiar with (& one of my Dad's favorites), Max Lucado. I believe that God was speaking to me through this sheet. It is so hard to get caught up in all the negativity of what's going on in the world today. You can't watch the tv without seeing some type of drama or bad news. Living in Atlanta, it's so easy to quickly get irritated. Whether it's at the way people drive - (I don't know about you, but it can damper my mood pretty quickly), or not being able to find a parking space, or just having to deal with the "not all there"types of people. Sometimes I neglect the fact that I should be the happiest person in the world and shouldn't really have anything to complain about. I'm married to the most amazing man! He is letting me stay at home and raise our soon to be born baby girl. We live a comfortable life. I have the most amazing parents! And I'm surrounded by great families. I'm so grateful for everything that I have. What more could I want? My life could be far worse! So I hope that this finds you encouragement, optimism, and happiness as it did me!

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalms 118:24

Today I will make a difference. . . .

Today I will make a difference. I will begin by controlling my thoughts. A person is the product of his thoughts. I want to be happy and hopeful. Therefore, I will have thoughts that are happy and hopeful. I refuse to be victimized by my circumstances. I will not let petty inconveniences such as stoplights, long lines, and traffic jams be my masters. I will avoid negativism and gossip. Optimism will be my companion, and victory will by my hallmark. Today I will make a difference.
I will be grateful for the twenty-four hours that are before me. Time is a precious commodity. I refuse to allow what little time I have to be contaminated by self-pity, anxiety, or boredom. I will face this day with the joy of a child and the courage of a giant. I will drink each minute as though it is my last. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. While it is here, I will use it for loving and giving. Today I will make a difference.
I will not let past failures haunt me. Even though my life is scarred with mistakes, I refuse to rummage through my trash heap of failures. I will admit them. I will correct them. I will press on. Victoriously. No failure is fatal. It's OK to stumble. . . .I will get up. It's OK to fail. . . .I will rise again. Today I will make a difference.
I will spend time with those I love. My spouse, my children, my family. A man can own the world but be poor for the lack of love. A man can own nothing yet be wealthy in relationships. Today I will spend at least five minutes with the significant people in my world. Five quality minutes of talking or hugging or thanking or listening. Five undiluted minutes with my mate and my friends. Today I will make a difference.
Max Lucado



2 comments:

Jennifer Dean said...

I love your blog! I am going to love keeping up with your family this way :o)

Cara said...

Becca,

I love this post! We seem to think making a difference requires something extreme or extravagant from us. Little do we realize how a simple decision to change our thinking can make not only a huge difference in our personal lives, but also the lives of those we affect. (Romans 12:2) Great post!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers