Monday, April 6, 2009

Oh so B-I-G surprise!

Today started off with a regular doctor's appointment at 9:30 this morning. My doctor did her routine check and said I was 5 cm dilated! She was astounded that I hadn't felt any contractions. She recommended that I go on and be admitted to the hospital for delivery. Thank goodness my Mom happened to be in town and she was with me at my appointment. I texted Dave from the doctors waiting room waiting for my wheel chair (we aren't allowed cell phone usage in there). I said to him, "having a baby today. still at dr. call in a bit." He replied back, "seriously?" Like I would joke about something like that! I was wheeled over to the hospital and checked in around 10:30. Dr. Wetter broke my water around 1:30. I started having some yucky contractions and requested my best friend, Mr. Epidural. Once that was given to me - I was great! I started to push right at 6:05 PM. Alexa Brooks was born 40 minutes later. . . . 8 lbs, 13 oz, 21" long! No wonder I was so uncomfortable. I had a small toddler in my stomach! Boy do I feel so much better not being pregnant!
I have to admit that labor was not bad at all. I don't want to say it was easy, but it pretty much was! I think it was because of the drugs. It made things so much lighter and less tense.
I am so blessed that everything went smoothly. Dave was so wonderful and very calm through the delivery. He was very encouraging and comforting. Alexa is so cute and the faces she made when she was born were hysterical! I think she's definitely got the Mader genes (which I'm not complaining - Dave is quite the handsome fellow). The shocking thing is that she has a head full of dark hair!
I'm about to get some shut eye while I can. Thanks for your prayers and will post some pictures later!

9 comments:

The Vaughns said...

Becca & Dave, we are SO excited for yall! Can't wait to meet little Alexa! Please post some pics soon!

Christy said...

OMG! Congrats..That is wonderful news!! I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet bundle of joy.

The Reeds said...

Congratulations!! We're so glad everything went well and can't wait to see the beautiful girl!

The Martin Family said...

Aunt Say needs pictures ASAP! I can't wait to see this precious baby girl! That story is unbelievable...walking around at 5 cm without a clue! I am so excited for both of you...I'll call you later today! Love you!

Perri Speigner said...

Congratulations! It's great to hear labor was easy!!! I am glad to hear you both are doing well. Please keep us posted on pictures! All three of you will be in my prayers.

tmiller said...

Yeah! Can't wait to see pictures!

Fran said...

Becca, that is awesome that it went so well! And funny because you just told me that you were afraid you would be in labor and not know it! I would have never imagined!
Fran

M :) said...

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for you!!

Maggie M. Cooper said...

Yay!!!Congrats! I want to see some pics of that sweet angel:)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers