Thursday, January 14, 2010

Master bath reno Complete!

Again, I'm late posting this. Back in November we ran into a problem with our master shower. 3 tiny tiles just fell off the side of the shower. We thought that was odd but thought we could call a repair man and he could fix it. Not the case. Keep in mind, our house was built in 2002, so tiles should not be falling off!
Dave and I had one guy come out to look at it. He said that he couldn't just replace the tile. The problem was our cheap builder. Instead of putting concrete blocks/walls in the shower then tiling over that, the builder/tile man put the tile directly on the sheet rock. It's no wonder the tiles were falling off. I can't believe we didn't have water damage and mold! The man also said that he'd have to re-tile the entire shower! Meaning we'd have to re-tile the bathtub too because they are adjoined. Ugh!
After realizing that this was a bigger project than we thought, Dave put everything in my hands. Since my degree is in Interior Design I figured that I could have a little fun with this.
The first tile man quoted us a ridiculously high price. I could totally gut my entire bathroom and redo it with the price that he quoted us for just re-tiling. He also said that it would take him and his men about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks to do the job. That is even more crazy. I've been around a lot of construction in my former days of working and I know that it does not take that long to re-tile a shower/tub.
I called another tile guy to come give us a quote. He gave us a quote that was half of what the first guy had quoted us. He also said that he could get everything finished within 5 business days. Now we were talking!

Lexie and I drove all the way to Cumming, GA to their showroom to pick out the new tile. I had in mind what I wanted to do. Nothing too over the top because we plan on moving within the next year (normally I would have convinced Dave to do travertine - Ha).

Our bathroom was about to go under the knife!

One tile guy arrived around 8 AM on a Monday morning. He was so nice and very clean (I was really worried about the demo process with Lexie starting to crawl). He would rip up the wall for a few hours and then clean up all the broken tiles and sweep. He starting laying the tile on Wednesday. By Thursday evening, he was done! I bought new fixtures for the sinks, tub, and shower - he even installed them (a lot of tile guys require you to call a plumber). Friday morning another man came to install our frameless shower door. After the door was installed, Dave and I could finally move back into our bathroom.

I went with a neutral 9x12 neutral colored tile with a solid colored 1"x1" tile for the border in the shower. I had them raise the tile height in the shower from 6'5" to 7'5" to give the space a bigger feel. They built a corner seat along with a corner shelf substituting for the towel bar that we never used. Instead of keeping the same fixtures, I decided to change it up a bit. I bought antique bronze fixtures to make the bathroom have a little bit of contrast.

Impressive Tile was an amazing company to work with! I was extremely pleased with them. They were quick and clean with a great price!


before. . . .
Bath tub before. . . .
The problem. . . . . .


Demo time!
Frameless shower door - I'm so glad I did this - it makes the shower seem so much bigger!


2 comments:

charm home said...

It looks so much better Becca! You did a great job on the tile. Sorry you had to deal with a crappy builder though. Let's get together for lunch soon. xo, Cristi

Hilary said...

Nice! Your bathroom went from Holiday Inn to St. John's spa! If I ever get to redo a part of my home, I'm hiring you! :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers