Sunday, July 10, 2011

Lexie's table and chairs

As one of Lexie's 2nd birthday gifts, I wanted to give her a table and chair set. For months and months I could not find what I was looking for anywhere. If I did find one that I semi-liked, it was outrageously expensive and I had to assemble it.
I (Lexie too) have always loved the table/chair set my Mom has at her house. But the chairs are fire truck red and the table is just coated with polyurethane. That wouldn't exactly go with my decor. But she told me that she bought the table/chairs locally but did the table/chairs herself (meaning she sanded, painted/stained, and coated them with poly). So when I was in town one week in March, Lexie, my mom, and I stopped off at the same local store. Everything there is unfinished real wood furniture - something you hardly see these days. You have the option of selecting any color stain. They can stain it for you (for an extra amount fee) or you can do it yourself. And with the table and chairs, I nor Dave had to assemble them. I browsed the place and found a set that I adored and thought it would go perfect with the house. Then I selected the color stain - which was the darkest, Java.
All in all it took about two and half days to finish the project due to having let each coat dry for a certain amount of hours, etc. There are a few imperfections but I was pretty proud of the way it turned out. Lexie is no longer eating in a booster seat at the table (unless we are somewhere other than our house). She has lunch/dinner at this table now and loves it!
All you need is sand paper, paint/stain, a rag, gloves, and polyurethane to start your project.

Table and Chair(s) before sanding, staining, and poly.

Chair sanded and stained. Waiting for the poly coats.


Table waiting for the same poly coats

Chair with final poly coat.


Table and chairs - Finished product!!

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers