Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Diana: A celebration exhibit

For those who adored Princess Diana, you might really enjoy the "Diana: A celebration" exhibit at the Atlanta Civic Center. Diana's brother, Charles Spencer (along with the Spencer family) decided to put an exhibition together and travel the globe as Diana loved doing.

I've been dying to go but something always seems to come up. Finally, the chance came and my Mom, Lexie and I jumped at the opportunity. The exhibit displays everything from Diana's family jewels, to her childhood mementos, family photo albums, correspondence, famous wedding gown, and to a lot of the beautiful couture evening gowns designed by famous fashion icons.

Though it was great to see all of these things that Diana actually wore, it felt a little morbid in a way and really sad. There was Charles's had drafted speech announcing to the public about his sister's death, the 4 page speech he read at Westminster Abby during the funeral along with the musical score of Candle in the wind sung by Elton John.

All in all, I suggest going to see it. It was a little bit of history I may never get to see in person again. The exhibit is in Atlanta until June 13.

Diana, Princess of Whales


The Spencer Family crown -1840
My Mom and I were drooling over this necklace. The 2 big diamonds can also detach and can be worn as earrings!!! 46 diamonds set in silver and gold.
Isn't this broach gorgeous?
Coronet for the Countess Spencer. Probably made to wear at the coronation of Edward VII

The Spencer tiara Diana wore during her wedding ceremony.
Believed to have been made between 1770's to the early 1800's.
Never really a big fan of this dress but it was neat to see it in person. It wasn't as 'poofy' as I thought it would be?



Over 1 billion people watched the royal wedding in 1981


You can't go wrong with a classic Chanel suit. Ahhh - what I'd do to have Karl Langerfield design me a couture Chanel suit!

This was always one of my favorite dresses. I can't get over how different the color is in person. I guess all those camera flashes really change the color.

This dress was worn the day of Diana's last public appearence

Charles Spencer's hand drafted letter to the press announcing the death of a princess
We had to get a picture with the princess. . .

No comments:

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers